“Your success and happiness lies in you. Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties.” –Helen Keller
All services are fully inclusive and tailored to meet the persons needs.
Below you will find information about our complementary therapy services specialised for people experiencing Special Educational Needs (SEN) or Disability (SEND) such as Autism, Learning Disability, Downs Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, ADHD, Social Emotional and Mental Health Needs just to name a few! At The Therapy Tree labels aren’t important to us as we strive for an inclusive society meeting the person in their world; however we know that when you’re searching online for specific needs it can be helpful to use such terminology which is why we have grouped our specialist SEND complimentary services together for your ease.
For Yoga Therapy please also see our Yoga & Communication page.
To make a Yoga Therapy booking enquiry please click here.
Special Yoga is aimed at supporting children and people with ‘Special Needs’ or developmental disability. The sessions are more than yoga poses; rather the therapy is a holistic practice to support the person to feel safe, grounded, comfortable in their own body, calm and connected. The practice supports the development of the physical body, cognition, emotional and sensory regulation as well a coping skills. Please see our website for more information or get in touch!
Meditation & Mindfulness:
Based on Giuliana Wheater’s Rainbow Kids, using a blend of mindfulness, sensory and sensational meditation, touch & ‘story massage’, guided journeys, story telling, relaxation, positive affirmation pathway games, sound work and breathing activities. This intervention is designed to support the development of emotional and social intelligence as well as building resilience to stress/peer pressure and developing healthy coping mechanisms.
Functional Massage and Indian Head Massage for SEND
Massage promotes body awareness, sensory regulation, deep peace, calm and well-being by stimulating the hormones oxytocin (love and nuture), serotonin (happiness and confidence), dopamine (pleasure, focus, motivation) and endorphins (pain relief). Massage also stimulates melatonin which helps encourage deep and restful sleep patterns.
Black & The Wild
Any of our Black & The Wild therapies can also be adapted to meet your needs. A common request is to combine Reiki with Special Yoga & Meditation.
“There is a voice that doesn’t use words. Listen”Rumi
Special Yoga Therapy
For many people living with a developmental disability or special need their nervous system can live in a state of alert (fight/flight/freeze) meaning they are unable to remain in a calm and organised state necessary for positive wellbeing and learning. The sessions are not about how many yoga poses or how complex the poses are; the therapy is a holistic practice to support the person to feel relaxed, safe, grounded, comfortable in their own body, calm and connected. By facilitating this calm and organised state we can support development of the physical body, cognition, emotional and sensory regulation as well a coping skills.
Within sessions a range of techniques can be used:
- Breath work (Pranayama). By regulating the respiratory system the fight/flight/freeze response of the nervous system is calmed and regulated. This helps communication, general health & well-being, mood, quality of sleep and ability to relax.
- Movement & breath – The yoga postures (Asanas). When working on the asanas we are working towards body alignment; by moving with the breath our body relaxes and we can move further, without pain, releasing tension and limitations whilst increasing strength and flexibility.
- Deep pressure touch/massage. Massage and nourishing touch stimulates the release of happy hormones, organ function and calms the nervous system. Deep pressure also helps to regulate the proprioceptive sensory system.
- Singing & chanting. By using vocalisation we are encouraging sustained exhalation which links to breath work and can support speech sound development. Singing can also release both physical and emotional tension as well as developing motor planning when used with movement.
- Meditation, mindfulness & relaxation. Deep relaxation, like sleep, allows the body and mind space to process, repair and restore. Within a relaxed mindful state the person can assimilate all they have experienced and learnt to feel peace, develop coping skills, self awareness and concentration.
The benefits of Special Yoga Therapy include:
- Improving motor control and motor planning skills
- Developing physical strength, muscle tone and balance
- Promoting flexibility and correcting postural misalignment
- Increasing self-awareness
- Establishing calm, organised mental states
- Improve concentration
- Reduce hyperactivity
- Relieve respiratory ailments
- Develop the ability to relax
- Release tension
- Reduce fear, frustration and stress
- Enrich the quality and quantity of sleep
Links are now being identified within scientific studies between Yoga Therapy and benefits for communication such as:
- Increased skills in eye contact
- Improved attention
- Increased non-verbal communication
- Increased receptive skills to verbal commands related to spatial relationships
Ashleigh is happy to discuss the benefits of Yoga Therapy for communication and links between Special Yoga and other specific Speech & Language Therapy interventions. See our Yoga & Communication page for more information!
Meditation & Mindfulness:
Relaxation Therapy & Rainbow Kids
Based on Giuliana Wheater’s ‘Rainbow Kids’ a range of techniques are used within sessions such as, sensory and sensational meditation, touch / story massage, guided journeys, story telling, relaxation, positive affirmation pathway games, sound work and breathing activities. This intervention blends early meditation skills and mindfulness to support the development of emotional and social intelligence as well as building resilience to stress/peer pressure and developing healthy coping mechanisms. People experiencing social emotional and mental health difficulties (including low self esteem and anxiety) often find this intervention beneficial.
- Boost focus & attention
- Support memory & productivity
- Improve sleep
- Improve motivation
- Support and develop communication skills
- Enhance creativity & imagination
- Develop social skills
- Develop resilience to stress
- Support problem-solving skills
- Develop personal and inter-personal awareness
- Develop self regulation and self management
- Develop emotional intelligence
- Support physical, mental and emotional wellbeing
- Build confidence
All sessions are scheduled for 1 hour.
Block bookings may be on a weekly, two weekly or monthly pattern. For any other pattern please contact Ashleigh to discuss.
If you would like to know more about possible funding to help with costs please contact Ashleigh to discuss: email@example.com
|1:1 Single session booking.||£45|
|1:1 6 session block bookings.||10% discount|
|General Group Classes.||£8 per session|
|Private Group sessions. 6 session block booking. (2+ people).||Please contact to discuss requirements|
|Single group session. No block booking. (2+ people).||Please contact to discuss requirements|
Travel charged £0.45 per mile. Travel time over 1hr may incur additional fee.
Enabling+ clients and their immediate families can access our Yoga, Complementary & Holistic therapies within their session for no additional charge. Check out our Enabling and Care pages for more information.
Ashleigh is happy to combine therapies within one session. Please contact to discuss your specific requirements.
If you are interested in our group sessions but haven’t got a buddy in mind who can join you then let us know and we can help you find some likeminded friends to share a session with.
Prices given as a guide and may vary depending on your individual needs.
Contact Ashleigh for a free no obligation consultation.
If you are a school or organisation interested in any of our Complementary Therapies please contact to discuss a bespoke package based around your specific requirements.